Lesson 30-8th Grade English
Here is the prompt:
Apple pie has long been considered the most American dessert. Why do you think this is? Do you think this is still accurate? What would you choose as the most American dessert?
I think that apple pie is considered the most American dessert because it was easy to make for early settlers and other people. Its pretty simple to make. It also has a very nice taste to it. If I remember, you can add cinnamon to the apples.
I wouldn’t say it’s the most popular anymore. Just because of all the other, newer desserts that have been created. Such as cheese cake, lava cake, etc. The most popular American dessert is chocolate chip cookies. According to research, it is the most preferred pie in America. In the nineteenth and twentieth century, apple pie became recognized as a symbol of American prosperity and national pride.
Apple pie originated either in England or the United States, probably the United States because in England. People add additional fruits besides apples. Some of them are figs, raisins, and pears.
Apple pie is very simple, and a lot of people have made it over the centuries.
Here’s a recipe for apple pie:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 to 7 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pastry for double-crust pie
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large egg white
- Additional sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the sugars, flour and spices; set aside. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add sugar mixture; toss to coat.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim even with edge. Fill with apple mixture; dot with butter. Roll remaining crust to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in crust.
- Beat egg white until foamy; brush over crust. Sprinkle with sugar. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 20-25 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
If you choose to make it, tell me in the comments how it turned out!
This recipe is a bit more complicated, but if you tried, I’m sure you could find an easier recipe. As a baker, I think that this would easy, but that’s up to I guess.
I was just researching America’s favorite dessert and found out that it’s actually ice-cream. I was surprised because I thought that it was Choc. Chip Cookies. But which dessert is most popular is up to you. Personally, apple pie is a Thanksgiving favorite. Apple pie is high up on the list, I assure you. My favorite dessert is actually cherry or strawberry cheesecake. You don’t bake it, you freeze it. I think that it tastes way better than normal cheesecake. If you ever get the chance, you should try it.